Spivak, Gayatri. Macmillan, Tate, Claudia. Virdi, Jyotika. Permanent Black, Export Citation.go here
The Caste Question by Anupama Rao - Paperback - University of California Press
User Account Log in Register Help. Search Close Advanced Search Help. My Content 1 Recently viewed 1 Embodiment of Untoucha Show Summary Details. More options …. Open Cultural Studies.
The caste question : Dalits and the politics of modern India
Editor-in-Chief: Miller, Toby. Open Access.
Online ISSN See all formats and pricing Online. Prices are subject to change without notice.
Prices do not include postage and handling if applicable. Volume 2 Issue 1 Mar , pp. Volume 1 Issue 1 Jan , pp. Previous Article. Next Article. Abstract Ironically, feudal relations and embedded caste based gender exploitation remained intact in a free and democratic India in the post period.
- Strength of Materials (Materials Science and Technologies Series).
- Computers In Chess Solving Inexact Search Problems.
- Medieval German Literature: A Companion (Garland Reference Library of the Humanities).
- Caste and Class among the Dalits | Dalit Studies | Books Gateway | Duke University Press?
- Logistical Excellence. Its Not Business As Usual.
- Poetry and the Police: Communication Networks in Eighteenth-Century Paris!
References Atwal, Jyoti. About the article Received : Accepted : Published Online : Published in Print : Related Content Loading Help Centre.
Join Kobo & start eReading today
My Wishlist Sign In Join. Be the first to write a review.
- Discover the fascinating relationship between food, culture, and place in Alaska?
- Uncle Peter.
- FDRs World: War, Peace, and Legacies (The World of the Roosevelts).
- Caste politics.
- Advanced Unsaturated Soil Mechanics and Engineering;
Add to Wishlist. Ships in 15 business days. Link Either by signing into your account or linking your membership details before your order is placed. Description Table of Contents Product Details Click on the cover image above to read some pages of this book! Industry Reviews "Rao's book will be required reading for any student of Dalit emancipation in India for some time to come. List of Illustrations p.
You are here
All Rights Reserved. More Books in Anthropology See All. Black Panthers. Hinduism views Dalits as sinners in their prior lives who can only redeem themselves by being good servants of the high castes. In the s Ambedkar, a Dalit who was a primary author of the Indian Constitution, tried to end Dalit oppression by giving them political power.
In writing the draft of the Indian Constitution in , Ambedkar reserved a portion of all elected positions for Dalits and only Dalits could vote for these positions. Mohandas Mahatma Gandhi, a high-caste Hindu, opposed political power as a solution to Dalit oppression. Afraid of more deaths, Ambedkar backed down and eliminated this provision of the Constitution.
Because of continued Hindu oppression of Dalits, Ambedkar converted to Buddhism in
Related The Caste Question : Dalits and the Politics of Modern India
Copyright 2019 - All Right Reserved